01 March 2010

Science humor

No, I won't inflict any mathematician/engineer/scientist jokes on you.  (Not that I couldn't ....)  I've been reminded recently of some good science humor cartooning.

Online, you might enjoy:
PHD Comics
XKCD

A science cartoonist I've enjoyed for years and recently reread his collections Einstein Simplified and Einstein Atomized is Sidney Harris.  You can get an online taste here

And, though it was never really a science cartoon, Gary Larson's Far Side is a favorite of mine, and was quite popular among scientists.

2 comments:

Bayesian Bouffant, FCD said...

And, though it was never really a science cartoon, Gary Larson's Far Side

It's hard to be really a science cartoon when you put penguins and polar bears in the same scene.

Robert Grumbine said...

Actually, I rather liked that one. Maybe that's because I'm not a biologist. Still, I work on polar things, and it was fun to think a bit about how you might get penguins to the north pole, or polar bears to the Antarctic.

My best guess was to get the polar bears swimming down the west coast of North America (in the cold California current) and then down South America. Once they got to the Galopagos Islands, they'd be ok for the rest of the trip.